If you’re having any trouble reading chord boxes then this handy chart should help you out.
Chord box help
- A red cross indicates a string that is to be muted and not to be played.
- An empty circle indicates an open string is to be played.
- The name of the chord or voicing number.
- A curved line indicates a series of notes are to be played using a barre (barre: a single finger fretting 2 or more notes).
- The circled dot indicates the root note of the chord. In this example the root is A.
- The recommended finger numbers used to play the chord (see hand diagrams to right).
- The fret number in which the root note is to be played.
You can also download or print Chord box reading guide.